A member of the National Guard has allegedly killed five people after opening fire at a military factory in Ukraine.
Four servicemen and one civilian woman are dead after a gunman came armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and 200 rounds of ammunition.
Five others are ‘fighting for their lives’ following the attack at the Pivdenmash missile factory in the central city of Dnipro on Thursday.
Artemy Ryabchuk, 21, has been named as the accused soldier, who fled the scene but was later detained.
The tragedy happened at around 3.40am local time at the beginning of the suspect’s shift, when he was being issued a weapon.
Pictures show a man in military uniform being held face down on an icy road as police detain him in Pidgorodne, just outside Dnipro.
It comes at a time of heightened tension between Ukraine and Russia, with grave cautions that a war is ‘inevitable and imminent’.
Interior Minister Denys Monastyrskiy has warned the person responsible for the military rampage will ‘bear the strictest responsibility provided by law’.
‘Following my order, a commission will be set up to study the circumstances that led to these actions being taken by a 21-year-old soldier, who had been called to defend his country and be responsible for security — and not to shoot his colleagues’, he said.
Deputy interior minister Anton Gerashchenko said the inquiry would focus on the shooter’s motive, which remains unknown.
A probe will also focus on how the soldier passed military medical examinations and had been sanctioned to carry a weapon.
‘First of all, the question of whether the serviceman faced psychological pressure in (his) team will be studied’, Gerashchenko added.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.